In October I started an online Residency at VIRTUAL SPAR, St. Petersburg Art Residency. I’m currently writing a series of essays about my work during 2020.
The Inside of the Outside of the Inside – Drawings and Etchings
During my time at the “Cranach Stipendium”, as residency artist in Wittenberg this summer, I worked on two projects:
The “Two Sides” project described above and a project, in which referred to the place I stayed at:
A residency stipend experience always contains a mixture of different dimensions.
The first dimension is the reflection of the things I take with me, as a starting point and an inner concept – it’s the own world inside.
The second dimension is what I find. There can be preparation through research, but the original encounter is something absolutely different. It requires awareness – it’s the world outside.
The third dimension could be described as a synthesis between the inside and the outside, the space which is created out of the things I brought and the things I found. It is a new space of perception opening up and each of these new spaces is unique and precious.
The work I developed is a work about this connection of different spheres.
It consists of a series of drawings and prints.
- In March and in April I drew different grids with pencil on paper. I always filled the whole sheet of paper. I guess this was also to some part lockdown meditation.
- In August I translated the grid of the floor at the residency place, the former studio of Lucas Cranach, through drawings and folds into a spatial structure. The studio is the place in which the transformation process of an artwork take place. I decided to work with the ephemeral structures of the floor and translate them into possible spaces, somehow to give shape to the invisible components of the material space I physically moved in.
- I transferred that spatial structure onto the grids. In a third step I combined both layers with drawings of abstract sculptural constellations which I drew and photographed during my walks in Wittenberg: Coincidental findings, drapery, fragmented things which unintendedly looked like parts of installations.
- I made etchings from the spatial drawings described above.
- I combined them with drawings of sculptural findings.
- I perforated the paper and added an irregular grid made of spring steel and magnets.